In this Language Loves Me series, I will be featuring language learners from all over the globe. They will expound on their tempestuous (or tepid) linguistic love affairs. This week let’s dive into the delicious details of…..
Eurolinguiste’s Love Affair With 汉语 and hrvatski
I also love when I am able to converse with others in either Mandarin or Croatian. For both I still struggle through basic conversations, but I am eager to get to the point where I can converse as easily as I can in French or English.
- You cannot literally say “yes” or “no” in Mandarin.
- You don’t have to learn how to conjugate verbs.
- I like how different characters or radicals when joined together create new words in fun ways. For example, 电 means electric and 影 means shadows, but together they mean “film.” 干 means dry and 杯 means cup, but together they mean “cheers.”
- If you mispronounce Chinese tones, you can accidentally say some really embarrassing things.
- It doesn’t have an alphabet.
- You don’t have to learn genders like you would in German, French, Italian or Spanish. Yay!
- By learning Croatian, you will very likely also understand Bosnian, Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin, and maybe even Macedonian, Slovenian, some Bulgarian and Russian. It is argued they are not the same language, but they are quite mutually intelligible.
- There are words that don’t have vowels.
- Croatian has 7 cases (English only has 2). For example, if you’re talking about your friend Ana, depending on what you’re saying you could refer to her as Ana, Ani or Anu.
- Croatian does not have articles (a, an, the).
- Sometimes the subject is dropped like in Italian. Instead of saying Kako ste vi? (How are you) one says Kako ste? (How are).
Thank you Shannon, We appreciate the glimpse into your Linguistic Romance!
Stay tuned into Shannon’s linguistic relationship developments at Eurolinguiste.
Are you learning a language and would like to share your story with the rest of us? Don’t be shy, we all need encouragement and inspiration!
If you have a linguistic love story to share, please email me at: aplacelikemeinagirllikethis(at)gmail(dot)com